Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rights Wrong Write



Its an age old belief that Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth follows and always comes after saraswati, the goddess of knowledge. The wise and well read also said that the true lustre of knowledge and wisdom, the sheer brilliance of art and literature is often found to shine from underneath the clutter of poverty and obscurities.

 There might be a few exceptions to the latter statement, but the bare sense of rating Saraswati over Lakshmi holds a lot of meaning. Have we somehow lost this teaching? Or has the teaching itself lost upon us? Whichever might be the voice used, lakshmi clearly seems to be leading the way today, and the ‘New Age Indian Authors’ who are also the point of talk in this article, are the staff holders of this lakshmi led regime. 

As common as it is for people to want to be heard, it is also quite common for people to have stories; not to mention the crave for fame and the desire to tame success. A mix of all this is what gives rise to the tragedy called “The New Age Indian Author”. Yeah, what follow is going to take an aggressive turn against the new age Indian authors, so if you like the Chetan Bhagats and Rashmi Bansals, you stop here. 


Everyone has stories, and everyone likes to be heard, the more people hear you the more happy you feel and if popularity, success and money come along, then who wouldnt want to become a writer? My question to these authors is- doesn’t writing have a purpose?  are just money, success or popularity reasons enough for writing books? Or do they even care about any of this?

When I first thought I could also turn author, I came up with an attractive and a fairly interesting prologue. Thrilled at this, I showed it to my dad, who is again an author,  but by no means has new or age on his side
.
It’s not bad. I think you might have an interesting story to tell, but I wouldn’t give a good review, you have a story and you mean well but thats not enough. You also know Kannada well, but not quite enough to be an author. Be more descriptive, romance a little with the words, make reading a pleasure. Make it look like literature and not a news report.’ Said my father.

I was not surprisingly, crushed and a little hurt; which led me to conclude that my father was too old for lite reading.  Only now I realise that this ‘lite reading’ is a bug. A bug that is one of the reasons for the encroachment of these new age authors on an enchanted lane of literature paved long before there existed a ‘lite reading’. 

While speaking to my aunt on this topic, she seemed to be outraged, her exact words were

‘Just because you have a lot of money and know people in publishing, it doesn’t give you right to put crap on paper. That’s reader abuse!’

True, I thought. How many IIMs have you seen turning into authors? Or as my aunt said, serve crap on paper. You take the names, but it holds good for most. This is where we see lakshmi taking lead over Saraswati. Just because you are rich and have an IIM diploma it doesn’t mean you have what it takes to write. I wouldn’t want to go on to explain how bad the writes can get, mostly because I don’t want to get in trouble, and also because I don’t want my post to turn too big. 

All said and done, I do believe people are good at heart, even if you’re an IIM. So just stick to being good.
Reminds me of a song that translates to ‘A Bird that spans the skies doesn’t expect an award for being what she is’ 

Are we so obsessed with success and popularity that we expect recognition for being selfless? Does that even count as being selfless? Or has selflessness become another qualification to sell yourself?
What started off as an expression of dissatisfaction for bad books and poor literature by these story sellers has manifested into something much different. Nonetheless it is worth thinking. Do we need to accept and implement these new found definitions and meanings of selflessness? Or would we use it as a cynical complement? Think!

Oh yeah..  I almost forgot... Don’t buy their books if you like English
  

9 comments:

  1. Good article and subject.. nothing more than Timepass. If the intent is to provoke discussion, the write is not deep enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not against discussions... nor am I going to write 'Deep' to seek out a discussion... I'm just trying to model my thoughts and point out facts.. in process if I make some people think.. thats good enough..
    Thanks for your comment.. I must say, this is my first real feedback.. and i like it! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. try this..

    http://bit.ly/qLxaIF

    worth all your money.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great write dude :) And I pretty much agree to your views :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice write,
    but i dont agree with many points,
    any thing which conveys message properly is a good write and any hi-fi linguistics failing in the same is CRAP!!
    ‘Just because you have a lot of money and know people in publishing, it doesn’t give you right to put crap on paper. That’s reader abuse!’
    with all due respect, DONT READ!! simple!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn’t agree more with ‘anonymous’ here.. it’s true that feelings are more important than words.. an ordinary person or a first timer can say that.. but a seasoned writer or a bestselling "author" hiding behind this line would only discredit him more..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah... hmm.. you're actually right.. I said the same.. and my aunt said

    'I cant help it, as areasonable person with the need to keep up with the trends I have to read them… if not because they are new and interesting, atleast because millions of others are reading them. and If you dont read, how will you know its bad?'

    I had no answer to that..

    This also reminds me of the world cup of 2007.. there was a Namibia match against some good team.. dont really remember what happened to the match but the next morning we saw Ajay Jadeja on TV complaining that such matches were a waste and we have no option but to watch it...
    We could've said DONT WATCH!! simple!!
    but that doesn’t work, he had too much cricket in him to simply miss a match..

    so you see... one cant escape so easily by saying dont read.. I mean your publishing a book! not some random blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. regarding the match example, something depended on it. So it is important for that match to take place. Say the schedule or points or whatever....
    Moreover, in the flow of the tournament, that match HAD that particular TIME SLOT!! So Jadeja had no other option other than watching that match. No matter how much cricket was left in him.
    Regarding books, it is not so. No book is prominent, rather no book owns any time slot.
    Sorry to be rude, but I find absolutely no mapping between the given analogy and the real thing.....
    Regarding aunt's comment, SHE DOESN'T LIKE THAT BOOK..... "how will you know it is bad?"... with due respect, "bad FOR YOU ma'am, but there are thousands and 10k's of fans out there, who instantly might have got related to that "bad book"".... I mean, that's her personal opinion, need not be generic at all!!!!!
    Sorry for bugging yaaraa!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. come on dude.. how hard is it to just not watch a match? but you don't want to miss it even its lame.. and thats because its a part of the tournament that you think is important.. the same way.. you read a lame book because its part of contemporary literature.. that is if you consider contemporary literature important

    No book is prominent, rather no book owns any time slot.
    ,,,,,,,,

    I cant believe you said that... but that's exactly my point.. people don't think books to be such a great thing anymore.. books have become mere episodes of hype and publicity.. and that's what we're against
    and.. in your favor: I like you yaaraa!! ;)

    ReplyDelete