Saturday, March 17, 2012

Fight For Who?


As I picked up the old book again, the words 
“he didn’t want nothing for himself” 
grew over me. Bound by its echoing cries I took a closer look, close enough to smell its age. April ’80 was written at the bottom of the first page. A few faded words making a sentence could be made out just above the date. 

It read:

"Do you think you can fight for others?

Usha Ratna"

The person who had gifted this book to my aunt over 30 years ago had  mockingly laid in a stiff punch.
I had missed this line when I first started reading the book. Maybe it was the eagerness of starting my first Steinbeck or the poise of being allowed to try a communist book or simply getting a book from my aunt, I just missed it. 

But it came back with all guns blazing.

I was lost for words, emptied of thoughts, and devoid of feelings. I was lost. 

Thirty years after the book had first traded hands, it spoke to me. 

“Do you have what it takes to fight for others?”

I don’t know. 

Maybe I do. Maybe it’s easier to fight for others. If you are fighting against being selfish and looking for ways to be selfless. Fighting against bonds, trying hard to stay detached, free, and bigger than yourself. Looking for some kind of meaning, a place, your place; without losing your balance or the touch of reality. Then maybe we should take to fighting others’ battles. 


Or do we even care? 

5 comments:

  1. Hey, is that John Steinbeck's book? The American author?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. its In Dubious Battle published in 1936... its not one of his best.. but it makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I've read his Grapes of Wrath...loved it..It was very poignant. hmm..maybe I'll dabble in this as well...

    Anyhow... “Do you have what it takes to fight for others?

    Loved this line..question! too bad..I don't know the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much into communist books... but what you said makes sense in many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm.. yeah.. the idea does make sense if you think about it.. maybe we need to read more to some more clarity..

    ReplyDelete