Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hermit at the office


An interesting thought crossed my mind when the speakers started talking about their ‘past experience’ in the orientation program at my college. ( well yeah I’m back in the class room.. so you can expect more posts from me.. or lets see) they all said, I have 15 years experience in corporate world, I’ve learnt things for 30 years in a Bank or I have 6, 10, 12 years experience in the teaching profession . I said OK.

After a while it just occurred, if I do a BA in 5 years or an MBBS in 8 years or an MBA in 4 years, does that mean I know better than my friends who passed out in 2 years? No right? It means I was a poor student and I have less to credit myself. Here, more is less. But while speaking of work experience, more is more. Does it really have to be that way?

Why can I not learn how things done in 2 years? Or say 3 or 5 max… why do I have to do the same job for 10, 15 or 30 years to know all about it? Does that mean whatever I am doing each day is so less that I need to spend a long time to learn what I actually call my job? On the one side we are sacrificing so much in the name of work and then we realize that we have done and learnt so little then where’s the point of taking up such a job? Or living such a life??


If you are interested in collecting a vast experience base spanning over years then you’re aim is not to be the owner or leader of your business, it is simply to be the hermit, a hermit who has seen a lot of success over time and has learnt a lot, but only to end up as an old hermit with stories of his glorious past.  

Well, my regular readers might be thinking why the sudden change in attitude… well I just feel that if you are training me to run in a rat race, then stop feeding me tales of the hermitage on the hill and teach me how to run faster! Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment