Monday, October 14, 2013

Mass Production

This one’s a long overdue post. I had thought of this hmmm… I think about 2 years ago. So we can say that this trend is almost 3 years old now. It’s about this explosion of south Indian movies on hindi tv channels. I was in love with the tamil movie annian. It was dubbed in hindi as aparichit and would premiere on zee cinema every now and then. There were a few others too, Kamal sir’s dasavataram was one such example. 


I was shocked to see that atleast 1 south Indian movie running at any time I surfed about the movie channels, that’s when I thought there was a change, the bollywood audience had grown an appetite for the mass movies of the south. However I could not push myself to write about it as I was a south Indian and I lived in Bangalore, I obviously liked to see those movies, but did the average hindi tongued like them? may they did, but I had to know for myself. 

Upon reaching Delhi I found that people actually enjoyed the movies of the south.  Be it the Action of Chiranjeevi and Sudeep or the romance of Nagarjuna and Surya, or the sizzle of Sada or Trisha, they loved it. People asked me about the names of stars from movies and I could actually see them like it! And that’s why the tv channels ran more and more dubbed south Indian movies.

Soon, one could notice more of Surya, Vijay, allu arjun, Darshan, Sudeep and Chiranjeevi pictures on hindi tv channels. That’s the same time when movies like Ready, Bodyguard, Rawdy rathod and the like came out that had nothing but crazy songs and unreasonably long fight sequences. This was an adaptation of the southern movies, the “mass” movies to be more specific.



 “What’s a mass movie?” I asked moms one day. 

“the ones that bring the masses to the theater” he said as a matter of factly.

“so are all Rajkumar movies are mass movies?”

He obviously was shocked. He cursed me for a little over 10 mins and then said
“see, there are 2 types of movies; Class and Mass. Hmmm… but I’m not sure how to explain… have you seen Jogi? It’s a mass movie, and have you seen Amrutadhare? That’s a class movie.” 

“ok.. so the one with lots of fighting is mass movie and the one with a sensitive story is class?”

“yeah maybe, somewhat like that, mass is what 2 and 3 wheeler owners watch and class is what 4 wheeler owners watch”

“haha.. mental you are moms!” I said and laughed off.. but that’s class and mass movies for you.

Coming back to the topic, we see a lot of such “mass” movies coming out from bollywood these days, since olden days, the mass movie of bollywood was mostly just a headless comedy that drove tons of people into the halls. But since the growth in popularity of Thalaiva and these numerous dubbed movies being liked by the hindi audience, maybe the directors of bollywood realised that it was about time they came to join the “mass” club.

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment